Wednesday, July 27, 2011

November: Patient Advocacy

My identity as a patient advocate and future physician go hand in hand, but I have had some interactions with doctors in my clinic that contradict that ideal.

A patient came in needing help with Labor and Industry paperwork that required a letter from the doctor stating her treatment plan in order for her to continue getting her payments. The paperwork had been faxed to the provider a week or so previously and the patient asked the doctor about it during her visit, but she was sent to the "social worker" to have this paperwork filled out. The paperwork explicitly required information directly from the doctor, and was not information that any other clinic staff could fill out. The patient was very distressed. She was frustrated with the quality of care she was receiving as well as very concerned about being able to pay her bills.

As I worked with medical assistant to make sure the doctor wrote the letter, she explained that he often tries to have other clinic staff do this kind of work. He doesn't like to be bogged down with paperwork and simply passes it off. How frustrating that a physician who's entire job is to care for his patients would stop so short of providing complete and quality care!

I expected to be allies with providers to make sure patients had everything they needed. I did not expect to have to advocate for my patients so much within my own clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment