Thursday, July 28, 2011

March: More Positivity than I Could Muster

I tend to think of myself as a pretty joyful and optimistic person, but if I had to deal with the mountain of challenges my patients face daily to be healthy, find food, buy medication, and pay rent and bills while unemployed or underemployed - I'm not sure I could maintain my optimism.

The Basic Health plan of Washington state was severely affected by the state budget deficit. More and more patients have been coming to me for help finding affordable medications because they were dropped from Basic Health and can no longer have prescription coverage. As I worked with Diabetic patient and her doctor to find programs that would help her get her insulin, she expressed immense gratitude for the work I was doing on her behalf. She shared that she knew her situation was hard. She has a innumerable worries and challenges. In her own home she lets herself get down about these things and feel the weight of her burdens, but as soon as she steps out her front door she puts on a smile. She has seen how people can carry their negativity and hardships into their interactions with others - being snappy or reclusive - and she won't let herself do that. She knows that life is hard, but she will try and move forward. She will treat people with kindness despite how tired or worried she is.

"Negativity won't get you anywhere. You have to smile." She said.

She inspires me to put my own challenges in perspective, and start each day with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment