Thursday, July 28, 2011

February: Graduation

My first patient graduated from the Hypertension Case Management program! This program is set up so that patients can take their blood pressure regularly, and try start to seeing relationships between their exercise, stress level, what they eat and drink and how it has an effect on their blood pressure. Simultaneously we set goals together and I call monthly to follow up.

Mariposa has lowered her blood pressure significantly, and has been able to maintain a healthy 123/80 for a few months now. I've discussed with her in previous follow ups that it was time to start thinking about exiting the program. This would mean that she would need to return the loaned blood pressure cuff to clinic. Though possible, she asked that I give her more warning before she exited so that she could save up for a few months in order to buy her own blood pressure monitor. Her doctor had told her to check her pressure every day. Her heart is her life and she wants to take care of it. She was proud of her progress and insistent on still being able to take her blood pressure so that she could keep it in control and stay healthy. I asked my supervisor if we could make an exception for Mariposa. She couldn't really afford a blood pressure monitor, but was willing to try and make this financial sacrifice in order to take care of her health. Inspired by her motivation, I was allowed to let her keep the monitor. When I called Mariposa to let her know that I would no longer be making follow up calls, but she was able to keep her monitor - with the one condition that she must return it if she ever stops using it - she was immensely grateful and assured me that the monitor would continue to be put to good use.

People no longer will no longer "exit" the Hypertension Case Management Program as I had previously thought. They will "graduate" having learned the value of taking care of your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment