Sunday, August 16, 2009

Week One

Week one of work is done! It was a short week, but everyone of my housemates is exhausted. Some of us are overwhelmed by the amount of responsibility and knowledge required of our positions, while others are a little bored and waiting for the busy season to kick in. I am definitely overwhelmed, but so excited. I come home every day from work energized and excited for everything I get to do. I have A LOT to learn, but I just try and imagine myself a month from now having a much better handle on things.

I've already jumped into some work. Though it work didn't actually start till wednesday, I've already worked 5 days. I had a 3 hour training session with Prevent Blindness America on tuesday night to be certified to do pediatric visions screenings at the saturday pediatric clinics Wallace sponsors. Thursday was my first clinic day. I got to go down town and shadow my boss and the social work intern I'll be temporarily replacing on how to set up patients with primary care referrals and help them apply for free specialty care. It was great to see the process get started. Janelle, the intern, and I worked with a man recently released from his 10 year stint in prison to help him apply for a program that would allow him to get a free surgery that is necessary for him to be able to work manual labor, the only kind of job he is likely to get, and to find a primary care physician to help him manage his hypertension long term. He had zero money and no help from the government in finding a job. He explained to us how he was trying not to fall back into his patterns of violence and drug use so that he could support himself and he was so grateful that we could help him in his pursuit of staying clean. 

Friday was an interesting day. I went into the office to debrief clinic and help set up for the pediatric clinic, but everybody got to go home around 1pm because the bank in our parking lot was robbed and there was a bomb threat! Gotta love Gresham.

Saturday peds clinic was great! though I did have to get up earlier than I do on normal work days and give up my first saturday in Portland, it was probably the highlight of my week. I got to work with kids of poor families without health insurance and recommended a handful to get glasses. I got to speak some spanish with the families and volunteer interpreters and spent the day chatting about med schools with my fellow pre-med volunteers. 

I've got a lot to learn, but with my super nice co-workers and a boss who's constantly sending me home with her gourmet left-overs, I could not have asked for a better job.


No comments:

Post a Comment