Monday, July 5, 2010

The First Farewell

My eyes are still drying. We'll see if I can get through this without crying.

This fourth of July was the last unofficial gathering of JVs. And an epic fourth of July weekend no doubt complete with soccer game, barbecuing, lounging in the yard, penny keg, and rooftop concert followed by the neighbor hood fireworks. The main party was Saturday night with a few goodbyes in the morning as Seattle JVs headed out, but mostly "see you later"'s to those who I'll see when I'm back north.

The Styrofoam Snowflakes - my band if you aren't familiar - held a Rihanna tribute concert on the Mac House roof on the 3rd. We ended with the a rousing version of "God Bless the USA" for the sake of patriotism, then our adoring fans shouted requests of their favorites from the year - like Beyonce's "If I were a Boy" and City High's "What Would You Do" and a finale of the crowd pleasing Ingrid Michaelson's "You and I' - Sean my band mate leaving me to sing alone in front of everyone before he chimed in at the chorus.

The really tough goodbye came on the night of the 4th. Sean left this morning - the 5th - at 7:30 AM, so in addition to enjoying the fireworks from the Mac House roof last night, it was Sean's last hurrah. Part way through the night he asked me to bring up my guitar. I brought it out and we headed to a corner for our last private jam session. We rocked out to Bruce Springsten's "Atlantic City" for the last time, the rhythm of the strumming and sean's soulful projection of the lyrics creating the music that bonded us in friendship. Then he gathered the group to finish our career in the spirit of the holiday with "God Bless the USA."

When it was time to go home, I waited to be the last to give Sean a hug. "It's been a good year. Go be a doctor." He says to me. "Go be a lawyer. You're great," I replied. "Back at ya." When we got in the car the mix of exhaustion and emotion was too much and I couldn't hold back the tears any more. I sat silently in the back seat as tears poured down my cheeks. Those tears came back as I pulled my guitar out its case this morning to put it away on its stand, and opened my computer to find the tabs of the songs we had performed this weekend.

Sean helped to bring me out of my shell. I never would have gotten up in front of people and performed on my own. He also was my inspiration to play my guitar as much as I have. But he was more than a band mate. He was a fierce friend - loyal and supportive. We had rousing conversations about religion and what a powerful force family is. We had a lot of fun together laughing and playing hard.

Sean had handed me with a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey, his favorite, earlier in the night with the note "Get 'em Snowflake. Thanks for the memories. - Sean 7/2010."

Thanks for the memories, Snowflake.

The end of July is going to be much harder than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment