Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Reflection on the Four Values

Here is the second essay I wrote for the 2nd year application. It is a reflection on the four values: Simplicity, Social Justice, Spirituality, and Community.

Before my JV year started, I thought the four values were somewhat arbitrary. As I have grown to understand them I recognize how essential simplicity, spirituality, social justice and community are to living a full and meaningful life.


I have been challenged this year to think about simplicity in many different ways: simplicity of time, simplicity in terms of technology, and ecological simplicity. Discovering what is life-giving in terms of simplicity of time has been difficult. To some of my housemates, it meant not rushing, being patient, not filling your day with things; but I am a person that is driven by an agenda. I appreciate lazy days, but also have a need to achieve and am a much happier and healthier person when active. Technologically, I still struggle with wanting to be on my computer and seeking out Internet, but I have discovered the joy in freedom from my cell phone. I am more present to the people and experiences around me when I’m not concerned about my next text message of phone call. Environmental simplicity has been interesting. I have always had a car and never had a need or desire to use public transportation. But after six months of being in Portland, I am finally pushing myself. It is so easy and simple to get in my car, turn the key, and be on my way whenever and wherever I want to go. But I’ve started to take the Max to church on Sunday mornings, and take the bus into Portland when I need an escape from Gresham. I am slowly alleviating my anxiety on public transit and it creates a peaceful sense of freedom and exploration allowing me to find joy in this city.


My placement is phenomenal. I can say with complete confidence that I will be a better doctor because of my work with the Wallace Medical Concern this year. Learning the social work model of care – giving people their options and letting them decide for themselves what they do with their heath – is so much more empowering than a medical model that dictates medical choices in order to move people a long more quickly. Especially being a part of our Latino Patient Advisory Council, I’ve realized the importance of listening and giving people a chance to be heard. Additionally, it has been made very clear what a huge gift it is to be bilingual and bicultural. I am not quite either, but it is now a goal of mine to work towards that.


In regards to spirituality, I did not understand just how “Catholic” the Jesuit Volunteer Corps was and how much of a challenge that would be for me this year. Growing up Presbyterian and attending a Presbyterian university, I had a fairly solid Christian faith foundation coming into the program, but have been challenged by my own prejudices of Catholicism as well as battling with the division of the church. My education was seemingly ecumenical, so the separation of my own faith from that of my housemates – due to the culture of the Catholic Church or some traditional Catholic views – has been difficult. But these challenges have allowed me to identify and think critically about my frustrations with Catholicism. I am finding language that is inclusive of the whole Christian community, and the greater community, keeping in mind the oppression that can be inherent in religion.


I am grateful for the way that living in intentional community encourages me to live the lifestyle I want to live. To be able to save money on food, or put more money towards local and organic products because we share a budget, and to come home to people who want to talk about our joys and struggles with this program is immensely life giving. But it is not without its challenges. Living with five strangers in a new city and having these strangers comprise your support group throughout this year puts a lot of pressure on relationships. Discovering just how different you can all be creates a lot of tension. But I am learning to simply exist and grow in that tension. I have had some of the most hilarious, encouraging, and insightful moments with my housemates, but I have been uncomfortable, angry and sad as well. By living in this tension, I can now recognize my own needs and communications styles better, and am growing more compassionate and loving toward people that are different from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment