Monday, June 11, 2012

oh.my.goodness.so.beautiful


I've arrived safely in Ollantaytumbo, and this might possibly be the most beautiful place I've ever been. It's nestled in the valley between the jagged hills of the Andes looking out at distant snow capped peaks. These are not like our northwest mountains.  They are much more steep and threatening. I'm living at about 9,000 feet which feels better compared to how winded I was getting off the plane in Cuzco at about 12,000.   The hour and a half drive to Ollanta was one of the most breathtaking car rides I've taken. But also the scariest - winding down narrow switchbacks and passing cars at 80 miles an hour...

The town itself is darling with narrow cobblestone streets, and plenty of quaint restaurants for the tourists surrounding a darling little central plaza. School must have just gotten out when I arrived because there were tons of kids running around in uniforms and backpacks. There are two different Incan ruins on the west side of town up in the steep hills that I can hike to once I walk past the edge of town. 

My homestay is going to be interesting. Thankfully I have a nice room all to myself with a little desk complete with Justin Beiber poster among the Incan/Peruvian/Religious paraphernalia.  It's a cute little family. Ana Maria and Margarita (mom and adult daughter) picked me up from the Awamaki office (the non-profit I'm partnering with). The three of us and all my stuff smashed in a little moto-taxi to get home then Ana Maria and made a late lunch as her son and Margarita's husband came home. Ana Maria made Lomo a la Plancha (kind of like carne asada) from the meat that was sitting in a plastic bag on the table, rice that had been in a rice cooker for who knows how long, and "ensalada rusa" - russian salad which is carrots, onions and beats, hopefully cooked but at least pealed - as the flies whirled around us. The kitchen itself is super rustic. They heat the water over an open fire in the corner and there's a hole in the roof for the smoke. Dirt floors. Cats, dogs and rooster running in and out. The Goat bleating outside. Most things are covered with plates or plastic to keep clean and no refrigeration. The food and cocoa leaf tea were really quite good, but I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have diarrhea tomorrow.  I also tried a new fruit that is SUPER tasty... you just pull it apart and it has really sweet white flesh and big black seeds in each of the little fleshy sections.  But I can't remember what they called it...

So I'm truly living in the Campo for the next 7 weeks. Not quite what I expected, but it's pretty awesome.  I meet with the health non-profit people tomorrow to talk more about how my project is going to take shape. Here I go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment