Wednesday, December 16, 2009

'Tis the Season

It felt a little bit more like Christmas last week, what with the temperature in the 20's and the crazy Gresham wind-chill making it feel below zero. I sported my purple pea coat constantly and was regretting leaving all my gloves at home. But the weather has warmed, the rain has returned, and Christmas is on its way.

I was home for Thanksgiving, and it was great to get a breath of fresh air, spend some time with family, hang out with Ian and Annie, Mike and Tig, and Kim. We got have some great conversations about philosophy, theology, and spirituality with insight from my JV experience. But it was a little strange. Being in Bellevue which is so ostentatious and ridiculously excessive, in addition to feeling like my parent's house is not my home - not where I grew up, and sleeping on the couch because the couples had the beds was just a little lonely. Gresham definitely felt more like home when I got back.

For those of you who don't know already, I am not going home for Christmas this year. If you know me well, you know I'm very attached to my traditions: Christmas eve at my parent's house, 11:00 candle light service at church, wake up (usually to Ian hitting me with a pillow or something equally obnoxious), waiting for mom to shower while we get the eggnog and tasty breakfast breads ready, opening stockings, then everyone taking turns opening gifts until there's nothing left. Gifts are followed by brunch - usually french toast and sausage or bacon, going for a family walk with the dog, watching a movie, and calling family until it's time for Christmas dinner at Grandma's house that always includes pickled herring, Swedish potato sausage, more gifts and game playing.

But not this year. I still feel a little funny about it... first Christmas not at home. It's been hard to explain to people. I feel like I have no excuse: I'm only three hours away (closer than I was at school) and who doesn't go home for Christmas? They don't get it. Well it was going to be a strange holiday anyway. Ian and Annie, now married and splitting their time between two families, are going to Colorado. And as a JV, we are encourage to really think about spending the holidays at our placements and doing something in the spirit of JVC. We are challenged to combat the consumerism and excess of the season and to try to return to the true spirit of Christmas. I am committed to this experience, and it so limited. I have one year with the support of this organization to really try and explore and understand the core values of community, spirituality, simplicity and social justice. I have one year to learn and grow with my roommates. I have one year to do something different. I will miss my family, and my Christmas routine. I'm worried about my mom and dad being sad without the kids around, and the smaller and stranger dinner at Grandma's, but I'm kind of excited to make this experience my own. It will be strange trying to accommodate different holiday traditions with all the Portland JV's that are sticking around, and I will probably get frustrated with not having things go the way I want them to, but I hope that we can serve the community around us and share some insights, and have a very special celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment