Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Ausangate

Ausangate. Holy Smokes. This was the most epic and gorgeous trip I have ever taken. On a whim and invitation by my group of volunteer friends in Ollanta - and with generous donations of warm clothing, sleeping bag, and sleeping mat from others here so I wouldn't die - I decided to join in on this adventure. We took off on a Wednesday afternoon to hit up the Urubumba market, then headed to Cuzco for the evening to repack and get ready. Thursday morning, we found down the bus that drove us three hours to Tinke to meet our trustee guide and horses. We were hiking at around 15,000 to 16,000 every day, crossed three passes - the tallest of which was 17,200, and got caught in two snow storms. It was so incredible I'll try and let he picture speak for themselves since words won't do it justice. Well... with a little comentary of course.

Here's the group on the morning of the second day. We finally go to see the mountain that was covered in clouds the whole way to our first campsite.



My tent in front of Ausangate. Campsite #1.

We walked through endless fields of Llamas and Alpacas all trip long. They're so cute!

Day 2: Mountian lakes and glacier on the west side of the mountain.

This was my low point at the top of the first pass day 2. We kept thinking the snow storm would pass... but it didn't. I didn't have my warm hat or my raincoat handy, so just after this picture was taken, our guide Miguel gave me an awesome woven blanket to wrap over my head and shoulders until we found our campsite. I had images of getting lost on Mount Everest and my parents never knowing what happened to me. Again. This was definitely my lowest point.

Morning day 3. Appropriately clothed and ready to take on snowy pass #2 - 17, 200 ft!

Our second campsite. Morning after storm number one.

The ladies celebrating reaching 17,200 ft with star jumps on day 3!
On the other side second pass. More high desert headed towards pass number three.


These alpacas were dressed up all fancy!

Campsite number three. The snow stopped just as we set up camp. but then started again in the middle of the night along with raging winds.... But beautiful, no?
Day 4: Here's hoping storm number three doesn't hit before we get over the last pass

The Promised Land! No more snow!

Celebrating surviving the worst of it in some hot springs at the end of day 4

Day 5: Back in Tinke waiting for the bus back to Cuzco after 5 days of awesomeness. Our guide Miguel and his son helped send us off.

So these are only a few of the amazing photos and stories I have. But this is all that trying to upload pictures 5 days in a row using Peruvian internet will allow.


No comments:

Post a Comment